It finally turned to Fall in SoCal this week (YAY-my favorite season!) So I couldn’t think of a better way to welcome the crisp weather than with a big pot of hearty soup!
This is not just any soup. It is a pumpkin cheese soup with savory sage…YUM!
If you’d like to make this yourself, here’s what you’ll need:
- 2 yellow onions, chopped
- 6 T. unsalted butter
- 1 quart chicken stock (or vegetable stock if you want it vegetarian)
- 2 cups canned pumpkin or pumpkin pie filling
- 1 T. sage
- 1 lb swiss cheese (I use a combo of gruyere and emmenthaler)
- 1 cup cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- crushed red pepper if you like spice
- chopped chives and more cheese for topping
Sauté onions in butter until golden brown. Add crushed red pepper if you like it spicy. Add broth, pumpkin, and sage and let simmer for 45 minutes. Add cream, salt, pepper and heat for another 15 minutes. Add cheese and stir often so the cheese doesn’t get stuck to the pot. Use an immersion stick blender to blend all ingredients for a smooth consistency. Top each bowl with cheese and chives.
Gary (the husband) and I devoured bowl after delicious bowl and can’t wait to have more tomorrow night ,too! Bon Appetite!